On Feb 19, 2007, at 1:12 PM, Joe Pluta wrote:

From: Kaiserbladekarl

Actually the blame here is with IBM. Sure there are people who would
want to stay in the green screen. Hell there are peopl who code Java
in notepad or vi but the majority of people want to use better tools.
It's just a matter of finding the tool. IBM never gave anyone an
incentive to move off green screen until they started popping the
"modern alternative" message from pdm. And now with your "scare
tactics" marketing techniques many more are trying to move to WDSC
but finding way too many barriers to doing so.

Oh please. I wrote Eclipse: Step by Step in 2003, WDSC: Step by Step in 2004. There have been labs and sessions at every major conference for years now. You've had all that time to get acquainted with the tool, you just
chose not to.

Both of these books are from a Java perspective though correct? If I'm not interested in moving to Java how would they help me use WDSC with RPG?

  My "scare tactics" are no more than telling you what IBM has
been saying: the development dollars for tools will be pushed to WDSC rather
than SEU.
Great! then where are the goodies?

A good machine? hell the requirements are for a great machine! You
need a gig of memory minimum and a 2 gig processor before it runs
anywhere close to fast.

This is a $700 machine. Not only that, it's the minimum specs to run Vista.
You can't afford this, you need to stick with the green screen.

I don't get to pick the machine I'm given. A small handicap for those who work for someone other than themselves. And how do I justify a new computer when the one I've been using for three yars will allow me to work fine AND WDSC is still not complete?

 I agree that it does things no other IDE does
but it seems that adding a designer and at least a 5250 console type
screen would be trivial. Yes CODE is perfectly functional but as I'm
sure you are aware they are not enhancing it. It is a dead product.
Why would Microsoft create a 5250 development tool and why would you
even suggest they should? I wasn't suggesting that Visual Studio was
better than WDSC but for development targeted for the Wndows platform
it is complete that's more than I can say for WDSC apps targeted for
the iSeries platform.

Heck, none of the green screen diehards would even use WDSC, so why do you
think IBM would bother creating an SDA replacement?

None of them? Are there stats to back this up or are you using hyperbole? I know plenty of green screen diehards who would use WDSC if it were usable.

As it is, I can write powerful multi-platform applications with WDSC. I just can't write green screen applications with WDSC itself. Of course, there is a tool for that (CODE) and IBM is even creating an SDA plug-in.

AND IT'S ALL FREE.

Free? Please. Like roads are free and police protection is free. It gets paid for its just a matter of how.

Some people just can't be pleased.

I can be pleased. Very easily in fact. Provide a complete environment. It's that easy. Hell I'll even upgrade my work machine at my own expense it necessary.
Joe