Hi Sam,

Do you have XP SP2 installed?  Perhaps the other user has configured a
firewall rule in SP2 to allow the outgoing connection?

Can you start WDSc with a new workspace, set the proxy information exactly
as the other user has and then try.  If this fails please send me the .log
file.  If it works, then you can shutdown, rename the %workspace
root%\.metadata\.config directory and restart with your old workspace.  It
should now have the new updates.

I know this isn't an ideal solution, but knowing what happens with this
will help us debug the problem more (i.e. it narrows down the problem to
the workbench vs operating system.)

Thanks.

Don Yantzi
Technical Release Lead
WebSphere Development Studio &
WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone: (905) 413-4476
IBM internal:  IBMCA(yantzi)  -  Internet: yantzi@xxxxxxxxxx

"Samuel J Lennon" <lennon_s_j@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
02/24/2005 02:59 PM
Please respond to
Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries

wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [WDSCI-L] Can't change proxy host address

   Still haven't resolved this.  No firewalls in place, stopping Macafee
   virus checker makes no difference.

   The one guy who can make it work has both WDSc and Ecclipse 3.0 on his
PC
   and updating works for both products.  Other than that we haven't
   determined anything different.

   Sam

   <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
   >Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Can't change proxy host address
   >Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 21:39:14 -0500
   >
   >Sam,
   >
   >Any chance that your PC has some firewall software installed (Windows
XP
   >SP2, zonelabs, symmantec internet security) on it that is blocking the
   >outbound connection?
   >
   >Don Yantzi
   >Technical Release Lead
   >WebSphere Development Studio &
   >WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
   >IBM Toronto Lab
   >Phone: (905) 413-4476
   >IBM internal:  IBMCA(yantzi)  -  Internet: yantzi@xxxxxxxxxx
   >

   >"Samuel J Lennon" <lennon_s_j@xxxxxxxxxxx>
   >Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
   >02/18/2005 03:50 PM
   >Please respond to
   >Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries

   >wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
   >cc
   >
   >Subject
   >Re: [WDSCI-L] Can't change proxy host address
   >

   >    Don,
   >

   >    The Internet tab contained msproxy.com.  I cleared that.  Now when
   >    strart WDSC the setting on the Install/Update proxy host address
and
   >port
   >    are blank.  The Enable Http proxy connection is checked.  The .ini
   file
   >    contains the correct data.
   >

   >    When I fill in xxyyy.com and port 80 and click apply, the update
   >manager
   >    still fails.
   >

   >    As I said, one of my coworker appears to have the same settings as
   >do,
   >    and update manager for him works fine and brought him up to
5.1.2.4.
   >    Another coworker installed yesterday from the CDs, went to 5.1.2.4
by
   >    downloading the updates and applying them manually, and he has the
   same
   >    problems as I do with update manager.  We all appear to have the
same
   >    setting, but it seems something is different in our environments.
   We're
> [...]
   >    >
   >    >Do you have anything specified on the "Internet" preference
   page?  I'm
   >    >wondering if you have that proxy server specified there and it's
   >    >overriding it.  The other thing to try would be to search all
   >    >pref_store.ini files under .metadata\.plugins for the string
   >    "msproxy.com"
   >    >to see where this is coming from.
   >    >
   >    >Don Yantzi
   >    >Technical Release Lead
   >    >WebSphere Development Studio &
   >    >WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
   >    >IBM Toronto Lab
   >    >Phone: (905) 413-4476
   >    >IBM internal:  IBMCA(yantzi)  -  Internet: yantzi@xxxxxxxxxx
   >    >
   >    >
   >    >
   >    >
   >    >"Samuel J Lennon" <lennon_s_j@xxxxxxxxxxx>
   >    >Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
   >    >02/18/2005 02:57 PM
   >    >Please respond to
   >    >Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
   >    >
   >    >
   >    >wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
   >    >cc
   >    >
   >    >Subject
   >    >Re: [WDSCI-L] Can't change proxy host address
   >    >
   >    >
   >    >
   >    >
   >    >
   >    >
   >    >    Don, this is strange.
   >    >
   >    >
   >    >
   >    >    I looked at the file and it contains bbyyy.com.  When I bring
up
   >WDSC
   >    >it
   >    >    shows msproxy.com in the preferences.
   >    >
   >    >
   >    >
   >    >    I renamed the file and restarted WDSC.  In preferences it
still
   >    showed
   >    >    msproxy.com.  No new pref_store.ini  file was created.
   >    >
   >    >
   >    >
   >    >    I changed it to bbyyy.com and clicked apply.  A new
   pref_store.ini
   >    file
   >    >    appeared that contained bbyyy.com.  Update manager still
doesn't
   >    work.
   >    >
   >    >
   >    >
   >    >    I restarted WDCS and msproxy.com is back in the preferences,
   which
   >    >leads
   >    >    me to wonder if msproxy.com is still hidden away somewhere.
The
   >    >    pref_store.ini file still contains bbyyy.com.
   >    >
   >    >
   >    >
   >    >    Sam
   >    >
   >    >
   >    >
   >    >    >From: Don Yantzi <yantzi@xxxxxxxxxx>
   >    >    >Reply-To: Websphere Development Studio Client for
   >    >    iSeries<wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
   >    >    >To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
   >    >    <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
   >    >    >Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Can't change proxy host address
   >    >    >Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:17:31 -0500
   >    >    >
   >    >    >Hi Sam,
   >    >    >
   >    >    >I have been unable to reproduce this problem with my copy of
   WDSc
> [...]
   >    >the
   >    >    >preference, then restarting WDSc. You can find it stored in
the
   >text
   >    >    file:
   >    >    >
   >    >    >C:\Documents and Settings\%windows user ID%\My
   >    >
   >    >

>Documents\IBM\wdsc\workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.update.core\pref_store.ini
   >    >    >
   >    >    >This assumes you accepted the default workspace location.
   >    >    >
   >    >    >Don Yantzi
   >    >    >Technical Release Lead
   >    >    >WebSphere Development Studio &
   >    >    >WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
   >    >    >IBM Toronto Lab
   >    >    >Phone: (905) 413-4476
   >    >    >IBM internal:  IBMCA(yantzi)  -  Internet: yantzi@xxxxxxxxxx
   >    >    >
   >    >    >
   >    >    >
   >    >    >
   >    >    >"Samuel J Lennon" <lennon_s_j@xxxxxxxxxxx>
   >    >    >Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces+yantzi=ca.ibm.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
   >    >    >02/16/2005 10:03 AM
   >    >    >Please respond to
   >    >    >Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
   >    >    >
   >    >    >
   >    >    >wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
   >    >    >cc
   >    >    >
   >    >    >Subject
   >    >    >[WDSCI-L] Can't change proxy host address
   >    >    >
   >    >    >
   >    >    >
   >    >    >
   >    >    >
   >    >    >
   >    >    >    I'm running 5.1.2.2, Build id: 20041014_2121.  I've
never
   >been
   >    >able
   >    >    >use
   >    >    >    the update manager.  However, a coworker has managed to
get
   >it
   >    >    work
   >    >    >by
   >    >    >    changing to a different proxy server.
   >    >    >
   >    >    >    In Preference->Install/Update, I have "Enable HTTP proxy
   >    >connection"
   >    >    >    checked and I have aaproxy.xxx.com in the HTTP proxy
host
   >    address
   >    >and
   >    >    >port
   >    >    >    80 in proxy host port.
   >    >    >
   >    >    >    My coworker uses bbyyy.xxx.com as his proxy host
   address.  I
   >    >change
   >    >    >from
   >    >    >    aaproxy.xxx.com to bbyyy.xxx.com, and click Apply, then
OK,
   >then
   >    >    close
   >    >    >    down WDSC.
   >    >    >
   >    >    >    When I bring up WDSC again I find that my proxy host
   address
   >has
   >    >    >reverted
   >    >    >    to aaproxy.xxx.com.
   >    >    >
   >    >    >    I am suspecting that once you've got a proxy host
address
   in