Dave,

<snip>
One way I use it is to have one view opened to the D specs and be
coding some where in the C specs - I can just flip over to the view of the
D specs and add a new variable, or view the definition of an existing
variable, then just flip back to where I was before. If I can have the two
views open on two monitors, even better!
</snip>

IMHO you're doing it the hard way.  Using the outline and table view of WDSc I
can view both the field definitions of any field defined in the program and a
file layout at the same time all in the same view on a single monitor.  No
switching back and forth between windows.  This is my favorite part of WDSc.

Open the fields item in the outline and you will see all the fields defined to
the program, even those in files.  File fields aren't identified as such in
this part of the outline however.  If you click on one it will take you to the
F spec.

Open the files item and you can drill down to the fields for each format in the
file.

My preference for file fields is to click on a file name in the F specs, right
click and select 'show fields'.  This displays a file layout in the iSeries
Field Table View.  It shows name, format, data type, size, and description.

Using these I can see any definition in the program without having to go
anywhere else.  Where I would like to see an enhancement is in the iSeries
Field Table View.  It would be nice if it worked with tabs and more than one
file layout could be open at the same time.  I can see them in the outline view
though.

Rick