Dave:

I also liked the way CODE allowed multiple editable views.  In fact I
think FlexEdit was even better, allowing you to see multiple locations
in the workspace at the same time if you defined the windows so that you
could see them both on the screen at the same time.

That said, I have moved to LPEX because although CODE is still there, no
active work is being done on it anymore...what we have is the final
version.  Also, LPEX has MANY neat features (many already mentioned in
this thread) that CODE does not.

Here's how I work around this issue:
- If I'm working in the middle of calculations and need to define a new
field, I first move to the top of my source using ctrl-home.  This sets
a mark at my previous location (at my calculation line).  I then page
down to my D-specs and add the appropriate definition.
- To return to my calculations, I press alt-q.  This sets a mark at the
previous D-spec and returns to my calculation.
- I can then code away until I need another field.  As long as I haven't
set any other marks, I can simply use alt-q now to return to where I
left off in the D-specs and add another field.
- Again, use alt-q to return to where I left off in calculations.

You can do the same for adding values to a run-time array (bottom of the
source) by using ctrl-end to move to the bottom of the source.  Now the
alt-q works as a toggle between the bottom of the source and wherever
you came from.

There is also a feature for using named marks, but I haven't used that
yet.  Perhaps someone else can comment on that.

The first time I started using the LPEX editor, I wasn't that impressed
and stayed with CODE.  That was about 2-1/2 years ago.  It has improved
by leaps and bounds since then.  A few months later I decided that it
was time to make the switch and find ways to make it work.  I have not
gone back.  CODE was orders of magnitude better than SEU (which wasn't
really bad), and LPEX is (imho) another order of magnitude above CODE,
with a few exceptions (such as multiple editable views).

This is similar to the pains of moving from RPG/400 to RPG-IV and ILE.
It's a matter of realizing that you may need to change how you edit
source...which takes time to get comfortable with.

Hope this helps,
--Bruce Guetzkow