Mark,

The Toolbox's AS400 class lets you set options for the socket it uses to
connect to the OS400 host servers:

public void setSocketProperties(SocketProperties socketProperties)

This includes a keepalive parameter and timeout parameter.  We don't
currently set either of these in 5.1.2 but are looking into this.  I have
had others report similar timeouts with the RSE but have never been able to
figure out which OS/400 setting controls the timeout value in order to
reproduce the problem and therefore know if this would solve the problem.

If anyone knows this value please let me know so we can fix the problem
[and test the fix!]

Thanks.

Don Yantzi
WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone: (905) 413-4476
IBM internal:  IBMCA(yantzi)  -  Internet: yantzi@xxxxxxxxxx

             Mark Phippard
             <MarkP@softlandin
             g.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  Websphere Development Studio Client
             wdsci-l-bounces@m         for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             idrange.com                                                cc

                                                                   Subject
             09/10/2004 04:30          Re: [WDSCI-L] Active jobs timing
             PM                        out

             Please respond to
                 Websphere
                Development
             Studio Client for
                  iSeries

Just a few comments, perhaps they can help or clarify.

The TurnOver jobs and the RSE jobs are not related to each other.  With
the exception that I think we are both using JT400 as the middleware for
the communications.  I suspect that the RSE jobs just reconnect silently
when the connection is dropped.  As you indicated, that is also what we
essentially plan on doing.  For us, however, it is a little more
complicated because our jobs are interacting with the database and will
lose their "state" when the connection drops.  RSE jobs are mostly
stateless since they are just driving OS/400 API's.

It would be great if an IBMer on the list new what controls this behavior,
but perhaps we would have better luck moving this to the JT400 forums
since the issue is really in the middleware.

http://www-912.ibm.com/j_dir/JTOpen.nsf/By+Date?OpenView

If you run CFGTCP option 3, what is your value for TCP keep alive?  Mine
is 120 minutes, the default.  Not sure if that is even a factor though.

Mark