Hi all,

Obviously losing source changes is a very serious matter and one that the
WDSc team would like to get fixed quickly.  If anyone out there has
experienced this problem in the past or regularly then please send me an
email directly (yantzi@xxxxxxxxxx) with as much details as possible.  It
doesn't have to be typed up in a nice note, just jot them down and fire
them my way.  I will report any findings back to the mailing list, along
with an update manager fix : )

Of particular interest would be:

1.  Was this an existing source member or a new one?
2.  Did you use the regular save or save as action?
3.  Frequency with which this problem occurs.
3.  Which (if any) error messages or informational messages did you see?
4.  Do you ever lose your network connection or disconnect the RSE
connection while editing?
5.  Do you ever work disconnected?
6.  Do you use the program verifier and how do you normally launch it (see
note below)
7.  Please attach your .log file from the %workspace root%/.metadata
directory.
8.  Absolutely anything else you think is relevant.

The more info you include the better chances that we will be able to put
the pieces together and figure out the problem(s).

Thanks.

Don Yantzi
WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone: (905) 413-4476
IBM internal:  IBMCA(yantzi)  -  Internet: yantzi@xxxxxxxxxx

             Don
             Yantzi/Toronto/IB
             M@IBMCA                                                    To
             Sent by:                  Websphere Development Studio Client
             wdsci-l-bounces@m         for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             idrange.com                                                cc

                                                                   Subject
             08/10/2004 01:19          Re: [WDSCI-L] Host source member
             PM                        not being updated!

             Please respond to
                 Websphere
                Development
             Studio Client for
                  iSeries

Michael and others,

When you verify your source do you use the verify action on the pop-up menu
for the member in the Remote Systems view or do you use the Verify action
in the Source main menu (this would include the Ctrl + Shitf + V shortcut
as well as the new verify icon in the toolbar in 5.1.2)?

The reason I'm asking is that the Verify action from the source menu
verifies the contents of the editor, while the verify action on the pop-up
for the member verifies the contents of the remote member (and would ignore
any unsaved changes in the editor, but you should not lose any unsaved
changes in the editor.)

For now I would recommend using the Verify action from the source menu (or
the shortcut or icon) if you have the member opened since the line numbers
in the error list will correspond to the same line numbers in the editor.
We will be changing the behaviour of the verify action in the popup to be
consistent with the verify action from the source menu.

Some more background:  when reporting these kinds of problems, please be
very specific about messages you get.  There are three different messages
that you could see here and each has very different meanings:

Normal Dialog (title:  "Save Resource"  message "'Filename' has been
modified.  Save Changes?")  This is the dialog you get if you close the
editor and haven't saved your changes yet.

Alternative Dialog(title:  "Save Conflict"  message "The member has changed
on the remote system since it was opened")  If you get this message then
the remote member has changed since it was downloaded and opened in the
editor.  When the RSE opens a remote member it locks the member just like
SEU, so in order to get this dialog the lock must have been released
somehow (for example:  the RSE connection was disconnected.)

Alternative Dialog (title:  "File Changed" message:  "The file has been
changed on the file system.  Do you want to load the changes?")  in this
case the temporary file that the Workbench editor is editing has gotten
changed on the local PC filesystem outside of the editor.  The editor
detects this and displays this message.  Unless you physically opened the
temporary file in an editor outside the Workbench then there is likely a
bug that causes the local file to get "touched" and therefore you see this
message.

Obviously if you see either of the alternative dialogs and think there is a
bug please let us know (include WDSc version and steps to reproduce the
problem if possible.)

Thanks.

Don Yantzi
WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone: (905) 413-4476
IBM internal:  IBMCA(yantzi)  -  Internet: yantzi@xxxxxxxxxx

             MichaelQuigley@Th
             eWay.org
             wdsci-l-bounces@m         wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             idrange.com                                                cc

                                                                   Subject
             08/09/2004 01:09          Re: [WDSCI-L] Host source member
             PM                        not being updated!

             Please respond to
                 Websphere
                Development
             Studio Client for
                  iSeries

   I've seen the 'Source changed' message also.  It's a timing issue.  When
   you 'save' the member in RSE, it really just tells the workbench to save
   the member.  It won't actually be saved for a little bit (depending on
   file size, network speed, ... among many other factors).  What the
message
   is telling you is that the member on the AS/400 (iSeries / I5  !-) ) is
   different than what's in the workbench.  If you select 'No' to this
dialog
   it should complete your save from the workbench to the 400 and your
   changes will be saved.  When you say 'Yes' it updates the workbench copy
   from the 400 and your changes are wiped out.  I understand that the
   development team is working on something to indicate the status of a
   requested save.  When we have this, we'll be able to wait until the save
   is actually completed before closing down.  Then we shouldn't see the
   message.  (It would be nice if they also didn't display this message for
   source member when a workbench save has been requested.)
   Michael Quigley
   Systems-Analyst
   The Way International
   www.TheWay.org