Bartell

That's true, it should be posted in the rpg forum, although I don't think it matters where I post it.

If IBM's intention is that people should start move from RPGIV to Java, why not make the transition a little bit easier by making the syntax more like Java (or C#). It's not a requirement, only a thought. Don't flame me for this.

Brackets works great for me and a couple of other people. ;-)
Small methods and indentions. And of course refactoring, refactoring and refactoring.

Bartell, Aaron L. (TC) wrote:

- what's wrong with brackets?, why ENDxx when we can use brackets instead .

Then it would look more like java, c# etc.

I thought the same thing at first and in my duties of going back and forth
between RPG, Java, and VB.NET(just learning) I am finding that the Endxx is
quite nice because I don't have to leave comments like I do in Java because
the brackets get so messy.

- why not make it all-free, not just the C-spec

I would like this a lot! Take a look at RPG.NET to see how they have changed RPG to get it into the 21st century.

**Note** I don't believe this group can do much concerning your wanted
enhancements to RPG.  You would be better to post them to the RPG list on
midrange, but before you did that it would be good to read the archives,
because some of these discussions have been mulled over many many times:-)

Aaron Bartell

-----Original Message----- From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Peter Merikan Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 4:53 AM To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] WDSC Wish List

Add this to Santa

LPEX
look at JDT and see how it could be done, at least for free format.
- code formatter
- code generation, e.g. new member, comments etc.
- refactoring, e.g. rename, extract method, change method signature etc.
- syntax check in free-format
- compare, make it procedure aware
- be able to start in insert-mode when editing a member.
- Enter key to split the line the behavior should be like a regular editor, Aligned, cursor in front of the first character on the new line etc.
- Tab key should indent the line when in insert mode.

free-format
- skip the usage of /free and /endfree. It shouldn't be to hard make the compiler to understand that it's a free-format statement.
- why not make it all-free, not just the C-spec
- what's wrong with brackets?, why ENDxx when we can use brackets instead . Then it would look more like java, c# etc.
- embedded sql in free-format, of course

RSE, a great feature but. Add this features/changes
- to be able to use environment variables, that are set on the connection, in user commands.
- don't filter files that starts with a dot (.) in ifs (e.g. .profiles)

iSeries projects
- give us the option to use associated folder as an alternative to associated library. Target library would also be great so we can start to use ant for our builds.

why not build a small compiler that can be used on the desktop to give us the possibility to really work off line.

/Peter

Chris_Bougher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I'm not sure if anyone from IBM sees this list or not but here are some
things I would like to see in the lpex editor.

Auto-indent - automagically indent after certain words or symbols in free
format code. Maybe even a way to define which keywords-symbols.

ie - after if;, dow;, for; etc.

Auto-unindent - ditto for previous except unindent

ie - after enddo;, endif;, endfor, etc.

keyword auto correction - it would change enif; to endif; etc.

saved macros - basically be able to save a portion of code for later
retrieval and insertion into your source file. The source should be saved
on the local system. not on the as400.

Thats all I have so far.

Some of these functions may be already there. If so please let me know so

can start using them.

Thanks

P.S.
     One other useful item would be a plug-in that would allow you to
telnet to a host system like Client access.

Chris Bougher