Hi Frank,
I run on Win2000 and connect to any one of 6 iSeries machines and have not
experienced the Client Access slowdown either.  Some on V5R1, some on V5R2.
Windows Services seem to ring a bell for some reason. Do you have services
running on that machine that don't need to be?

We have Implementer for source control as well and use their WDSC plugins.
Even with the automation and integration to keep the same functionality of
the source control, I have had to practically use a crowbar on my 8 staff
members to start using WDSC.  Usually, developers are pretty eager to learn
new tools that will make their job easier. My previous job also used
Implementer and we had BPCS with Asset.  Mark is right in that I didn't
need to go to the Source Integrity solution in that case.  I don't need to
use that solution at my current company since we are not building java/web
apps. (yet)

I will say yes, it does take a new frame of mind to get your head around
the new concept of GUI and WDSC coming from a green screen background.  I
still fall back to CODE to do program overviews and source compares(I just
like them better). But after showing and convincing my team to make the
commitment to take the time, it has started to pay off. They are more
productive with better quality due to the new debugging capabilities and we
get 10 X's the documentation (Thanks Mark and those at SoftLanding for the
free plugins for messages and spool files!! That is huge functionality in
our debugging, testing and documentation processes.)

As far as the future, after nights and weekends on my part to really
understand the potential and strengths in WDSC, I am convinced that this is
the right direction for my team. My team is starting to embrace this
realization as well. I recognize the future of development tools is going
in this direction. Version 5.1.0.1 is extremely better than previous
releases. In getting my team deep into the usage of WDSC, it will put us in
the perfect position to ramp us into Java applications and possibly into
the JDE 1 World environment that is looming over our heads sometime in the
future.

Sorry for the mini-novel. Good luck!
Duie Olson
Dir. of App. Dev.
Regis Corporation

date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 09:06:20 +1000
from: Frank.Kolmann@xxxxxxxxxx
subject: [WDSCI-L] WDSC HELP needed. Installation and Education

Thanks Vern and everyone for the help.
Midrange.com is a magic place.
I will regroup and obtain WDSC 5.1
It is a very difficult process for me to get this version as
we have some Software maintenance but I am not sure what.
When we upgraded to V5R2 we were given WDSC 4.0,this was about
a year ago. For something touted as the bees knees why is it
all so very hard, but maybe I have been spoilt all these years
on S38s and AS400s and finally must face the 'real world' of
computing.  (showing my age, I dread JAVA)

I really miss the 'position-to' function. Even MS software has
this in a fashion. With MS lists one can click on an entry
then key the first characters and get positioned to an entry
with the characters keyed.
Filters are good for filtering, but I dont see the need to make
them permenent/persistant.  In PDM F17 subset is a better
implementation of filters.
Maybe with JAVA one has to do it that way.

Our 825 is so fast I have stopped using Abstract x-ref.
I use the PDM 25 option, to search for stuff.  If I lose
this I will have to resurrect Abstract, oh well back to the
dark ages.

I have always had 4 CAE sessions open, more if needed and I
could see and edit multiple source members, with one click I
switch sessions, so multiple sessions is nothing new to me.
And I copy/paste between then at will.

Win2K is slow in the sense it has delays. (In my paranoid
moments I think back to PC Junior with the built in delay loops)
Sometimes it is fast then it waits for 3 secs, it is not the 825
as this does not happen for the same task at the same time on W98.

We use MKS Implementer for source control.  It is a big thing to
switch to MKS Integrity especially as we use ASSET 8.0.  This is
going to cost us in time and money, hence more reason to not use WDSC.

Frank Kolmann

service.