Benjamin Franklin

"Buck" <buck.calabro@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
07/28/2003 10:37 AM
Please respond to Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries

        To:     wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:
        Fax to:
        Subject:        [WDSCI-L] Re: WDSc 5.0 and appServer

Rob wrote:

> To get the webfacing to run in batch instead of
> interactive, you need to buy the Enterprise edition
> of the server and not the standard edition.

Phil Coulthard replied:

> False

Hi Phil!  I was under the same mis-understanding as Rob.  There are
several
hurdles one must overcome when trying to understand the branding.  We have
WDSCi Standard and Advanced.  We have WAS Express and Standard.  We have
AS/400, iSeries (pre-2003) Server and Standard, iSeries (new models)
Standard and Enterprise.  Precisely what mix of software on what mix of
hardware _requires_ interactive capacity for WebFaced applications is not
really spelt out on any IBM web site that I could locate, including the
WebFacing home page at
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/awdtools/wdt400/about/webfacing.html

But the Redbook (March 2003)
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/SG246801/css/SG246801_141.html says
"QQFINVOKER: Interactive job This job runs in the interactive subsystem
QINTER. This job uses the virtual terminal device created by virtual
terminal server."

Bearing in mind that many of the sites looking at WebFacing are NOT buying
new hardware, or even upgrading to V5R2, could you do two things for us?
1) Create a simple table showing exactly what hardware and
     software combinations do NOT require interactive capacity
     to run WebFaced applications?
2) Put that table on the WebFacing home page?

It's not my intention to bust your chops, but it's pretty clear that we,
IBM's customers, aren't able to readily discern what we need to own to
make
all this stuff work.  Especially in economic times when it is hard to
shake
money loose for new hardware...  Many thanks!
  --buck

ps For those wondering how I found the WebFacing home page (you can't
easily
get there from the iSeries home page).  You need to look for the WebSphere
Development Studio Client for iSeries page, which is here:
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/awdtools/wdt400/  Remember that this is only
the PC side of things; the iSeries stuff (compilers!) called WebSphere
Development Studio for iSeries is on a link at the bottom of the page:
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/awdtools/wds400/