>Fortunately, in every PC application ever made (except
>WDSC workbench) I can just type the name of the file
>that I want, and not have to search
>through a long list.

I don't have WDSc yet, but in Code Project, I can click in the member list
window and type the first few letters of the name and the list will be
positioned there.  Does that Windows-ish trick work in WDSC?

You're right Scott, I was thinking of the 'thumb' but couldn't remember the
name.

Some Code V5R1M0 timings, using Code Project are below.  I did a Refresh and
timed from the moment I pressed F5 to the moment the red status bar went
back to green.  Completely unscientific, but this is what I'm used to.

PC Pentium II, Win 2K, 128 meg.  I did literally nothing else on the PC
except run this test.

iSeries 820, P30, 3gig, V5R2M0.
7205 members: 'Clearing list' :28, 'Loading' until first display 1:12, List
complete 1:53
11044 members: 'Clearing' :45, 'Loading' 1:10, Complete 2:12
283 members: 'Clearing' , 'Loading' , Complete :02
12 members: subsecond
10733 members: 'Clearing' :44, 'Loading' 2:59, Complete 4:02

iSeries 620, P20, 1gig, V5R2M0.
381 members: 'Clearing' :01, 'Loading' :22, Complete :23
241 members: 'Clearing' :01, 'Loading' :08, Complete :11
421 members: 'Clearing' :02, 'Loading' :07, Complete :10

I don't have any monster source on the 620.
  --buck