"Is there any way to open a member on the as400 without creating a
filter?"

No, there currently is no way, but we will note it as a requirement. It is
a bit against the
grain of an IDE, however. Note that an older-style open dialog would need
to prompt for
the member's library, file and member name, which is exactly what the Work
With Members
filter prompt asks for. The only difference is it requires one more <enter>
to get to the
2nd page, and then a name to be entered, and then a double click on the
member once
you see it. The good news is that you only have to enter these few extra
keystrokes once,
after that you simply double click on the member forever more ... you don't
even have to
expand the filter again unless you collapse it. So, it saves you typing the
library, file and
member every time you wish to open it. Further, it also gives you access to
the other
right click actions like rename, copy, paste and delete.

For these reasons, IDEs tend not to have actions for directly opening the
editor without
going through a resource tree of some kind.

Someone commented on the going through the libl being slow. If there is a
performance
problem in expanding your libl then we'd like to hear about it. In general
though, we have
such exhaustive filtering capability precisely so that you don't have to
drill down to the member,
much as you would rarely drill down from WRKLIBPDM in order to edit a
member, although
you can. That being said, have you noticed the Expand To action on a
library? It will allow
you expand it to show just source files, which might help if you do like
drilling down versus
directly accessing.

Phil Coulthard, iSeries AD,  IBM Canada Ltd. coulthar@xxxxxxxxxxx