You must have a pretty small team of developers I take it to not require regression testing? Yes unit tests take time to write, but how else have you done regression testing? Hire a team of testers with hand written testing scripts by their side? Or just say to heck with testing altogether?

-----Original Message-----
From: Walden H. Leverich [mailto:WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:20 PM
To: .net use with the System i
Subject: Re: [SystemiDotNet] What are you doing with.NET and integrating into IBM i?

I would probably add on the test-script front that I've yet to find a testing solution that's of any value. Unit testing w/mocks is the stupidest thing I've heard of. I'd end up writing 5 times as much "test" code as production code. And you know what, unless I'm a complete idiot I'm going to know that the code I just wrote doesn't work as soon as I exercise it.

Sure the concept is great, have a big library of automated tests that cover all the system so you have the freedom to make changes and just hit a button to make sure you didn't break anything or introduce regressions. But when I look at the bugs we've had over the years they're all related to UI/browser issues or other corner cases and not anything that would have been picked up with a unit-test tool.

Please, someone tell me different. Seriously... I'd love to find that tool that gets me that idea concept, but I've just not found it.

-Walden

--
Walden H Leverich III
Tech Software &