Why do you need XML ?

If you're calling RPG you can pass parameters.

If you need a recordset you can read a table directly or generate a temp
file and read those results.

XML isn't really needed unless you're doing a web service in which case
you're either reading a recordset or calling a program.

Maybe a little more background on what you're hoping to accomplish would
help.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
"Get the information you need. Now!"
Document Management, Workflow, Report Delivery, Forms and Business
Intelligence
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
Tel: (952) 736-5800
Fax: (952) 736-5801
Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT

message: 1
date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 11:58:22 -0600
from: Mike <koldark@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: [SystemiDotNet] Passing XML back and forth with RPG and .NET

I am at a loss here of a best-practice to pass XML back and forth with
RPG
and C#.NET. Originally, I was going to use a temp physical file in
QTEMP,
but it seems to be that there should be a better way. The temp file has
one
line of the document in one record of the file. To me this seems to add
lot of extra work that really shouldn't be needed. I am looking for a
two-way communication.

One thought is to pass a 32000 char parameter back and forth, but is
that
really a good idea? What happens if the document happens to be bigger
than
that? I don't think I would hit that limit so maybe I would be fine?

What about creating a temp IFS file? That seems like more work than is
needed as well.

What are your thoughts?

Obviously, both the RPG and C# programs will be reading and processing
the
XML document.

I may x-post this on RPG-L as well.

--