Bill,

The IBM Redbook "Geac System 21 - Implementation for AS/400" is an
excellent resource http:/www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg245967.html
and has great examples of naming conventions.  See Chapter 11
(Customization) and page 390 for specifics.

One other thing to consider is if you create logicals over System 21
physicals you might want to have custom libraries with a name that is
lower in the iSeries sorting order.

Our custom libraries all start with the first letter of 'Z'.  The reason
for this is in the event of system restore resulting from a disaster, a
disaster test, hard drive failure, etc. when you restore your libraries
it is generally done via a RSTLIB *NONSYS or some equivalent method.
These methods restore the libraries alphabetically starting with 'A'.
The restore can not restore logical files if the physicals do not
already exist on the system.

In our case all of the System 21 and other libraries will be restored
before any of our custom 'Z' libraries.

I hope this makes sense as it is a very important concept.  Worst case
is that if you did not use this library naming convention you would have
to manually recreate or restore all of your logicals after everything
else was restored in a disaster.  However, you usually have plenty of
other things to keep you busy in a disaster and this would delay
recovery.

Steve Prill
Senior I.S. Project Manager
Rexair LLC