From: Jeff Klipa [mailto:jklipa@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday 11 December 2003 15:29
To: system21@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [SYSTEM21] Day Start

Jon is spot on...  The 5:00 am time certain would cause the job to wait
until tomorrow AM to run today's "late" request...  So when you run the
RUNADSJOB tomorrow you would get two jobs running at 5:00 AM...  This theory
assumes your day start is some time before 5:00 AM...  But this also
illustrates a diabolically more subtle problem...

It has always been my understanding that the RUNADSJOB is supposed to delete
any previously launched copies of the JOBSCH job in QCTL whenever it runs...
  This would normally wipe out any jobs waiting in the job scheduler...  If
it is not deleting the old iteration of JOBSCH and restarting it then it is
my humble opinion that something is wrong.

We had that problem a while ago and discovered that the way we were calling
the RUNADSJOB command in ADE was wrong...  We found that if we called the
RUNADSJOB from a command line in the middle of the day it would work as I
described above - Delete the current JOBSCH job and everything that was
scheduled to run in the scheduler was wiped out.  But when it ran at night
in the ADE it would not behave "correctly".  All the day jobs would run as
normal but there was a hidden problem...

We eventually found that we were not Submitting the RUNADSJOB command when
we launched it from ADE... What would happen is the OS/400 would eventually
generate an error because the call stack would go "too deep" and another
symptom would be extremely large job logs for the JOBSCH job (several
thousand pages...!).  This would usually take about 6 weeks to failure. (We
only IPL a few times a year).

Look closely at your JOBSCH joblog for the current iteration.  The jobs
start date should be today...  If it's not then you're calling the RUNADSJOB
cmd "interactively from the ADE jobstream"...  You need to SUBMIT it by
specifying a job name on your MM ADE entry.  If you call it "Interactively
within the Scheduler job stream" it cannot delete the current copy of JOBSCH
because it has a lock on itself...  Kind of like a snake swallowing it's own
tail...!!!  But if you "Submit" the RUNADSJOB command it can then swallow
the snake...  Just as it does when you call RUNADSJOB from the command line
in the middle of the day.

The call to RUNADSJOB in the ADE should look like this:
Sequence  . . . 1230 Update  Desc Run ADS Job

Job name  . . . RUNADSJOB  Blank for job to be run rather than submitted.
<---***Important***
Job desc. . . . MMJOBSCH   *LIBL
Job queue . . . QTXTSRCH     Job user . *CURRENT    (*JOBD *CURRENT)
Job priority  . 5
Message queue . QSYSOPR      (Message queue name or *NONE)
Request data. . RUNADSJOB

Be sure you specify a job name to Submit it and not run it "Interactively
within the Scheduler job stream"...  This should be the second to last entry
in the ADE list...  The last entry should always be DLTADEOVR and you should
never override this option not to run...

If you were not the original architect of your Machine Manager scheme you
may be surprised to discover how it is really working...  It can be
challenging to wrap your head around what's really going on within MM even
if you designed the schedule yourself...

I rely heavily on the MM and have many entries in ADS and ADE...  I have to
give careful consideration to where I place any new entries I might need to
add...  Do I run it in ADS or ADE...  Run Immedate or delayed...  If
delayed, do I send it to a jobq that is on hold for later release or do I
specify a time certain for the job to start...  "Submit" it or run
"Interactively within the Scheduler job stream"...

Some people I've talked to don't use MM simply because they don't understand
how it works...  Those people usually pefer the IBM scheduler...  But there
are so many powerful things you can do using MM...  It's a great tool
uniquely suited to running JBA tasks.  The two major drawbacks are lack of
Dependant Processing and the inability to easily schedule batch jobs with
variable dates...

The point is you can make it simple or you can make it complicated...  But
in order to know what to do when something goes wrong it helps to understand
what is really going on inside the scheduler...

Sorry for being so long winded...  Hope that helps...

Good luck...