We were also looking for your banana cream pie!!!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: steven_fuller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Nov 10, 2003 3:17 PM
To: System 21 Users <system21@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [SYSTEM21] Save while Active

We have been performing a save while active for over a year.  It kicks off
from ROBOT at 12:01am, we bring the JBA Background jobs down via shut down
programs as well as communications for Future Three.  We also bring down
all of our interactive users and start a save while active with *SYNCLIB on
only the necessary libraries.

SAVLIB     LIB(AEGINW352 FUTBARCODE FUTBARPRNT FUTCP FUTDTALIB FUTMODS
FUTMAP FUTVRDTA4 OSL@@F3 OSLMODS TLABARCODE TLACS) DEV(TAP01) ENDOPT
(*LEAVE)SAVACT(*SYNCLIB) SAVACTWAIT(120) SAVACTMSGQ(QSYSOPR) ACCPTH(*NO)

We use ROBOT to monitor for message id CPI3712 telling us that the
checkpoint processing is finished, on average about 10 from shutting down
JBA to bringing our JBA production users back on line.  We bring production
users on line and perform the necessary Future Three jobs, ie shift, and
after that we bring the remainder of the jobs up.    The actual save time
will run for another 45 minutes.

So..   Our manufacturing people are down for a total of about 8 to 10
minutes and our shipping is down for about 18 to 20 minutes.  Everything
runs very smooth and wasn't too bad to set up.  And yes we have tested
several times with several different libraries, and not necessarily because
I wanted to.

The times are as low as i can get them with out a faster machine or doing
purges.  We are running a 620 with 2 gig of memory. The data size we are
saving is as follows and the size is in 1,000,000 bytes ...

ALSO,

We use a 2 Hour limit as well and have had no problems with data integrity.
Train the users not to be in an option when they will be away for an
extended period of time, and yes this does mean beatings!!!!   .  As for
finance - it doesn't happen often and it isn't hard to recover a session.

Once you understand all the locks and the reasons why subsystems don't come
up you can easily program around it.  So, when the system comes down at
night for back ups we still go clear the locks and checking everything via
programs that all is cool.  And since it isn't good getting a call at 1am
we make sure everything was cool when we set this all up.

My 1/2 cent

Steven

                    "Jeff Klipa"

                    <jklipa@xxxxxxxxxxx        To:     system21@xxxxxxxxxxxx

                    >                          cc:

                    Sent by:                   Subject:     RE: [SYSTEM21] Save
while Active
                    system21-bounces@mi

                    drange.com

                    11/10/2003 10:58 AM

                    Please respond to

                    System 21 Users

Chris,

Thanks for bringing that up...  Your point is completely valid and
accurate.
We've had to resort to public floggings on occasion and users have been
well
trained to not leave posting sessions and maintenance screens unattended...

We don't really have a problem with that any more (knock wood)...  More
likely a powerfailure will get us than the inactivity timer these days...
Your point is well taken and anyone would do well to consider it before
actually using the inactivity timer.

Great point...