If you use what Jon suggested and follow up by running the CLNUSRALC command
periodically to actually clean up the licenses you will have a much more
complete solution...

We also use QINACTITV but we're set to a generous 120 minutes...  We have to
train our users to not leave the terminals signed on if they are going to be
away from their desks for more than a brief period of time.  Especially not to
leave maintenance programs unattended...  We often have to chase out users for
record locks because of that.

On a related note, we wrote a program that monitors our seat usage since no such
beast was available from geac...  The program captures statistical usage across
all applications every hour of the day.  We know our high, low and average seat
usage for every application.  We can download this to a spreadsheet and create a
graphical representation of that usage to prove how many seats we truly are
using at any hour of the day and this will help us determine precisely how many
seats we need to be paying for when it comes time to renew our maintenance
agreement...

As part of the process of capturing the data we schedule the CLNUSRALC command
and a CALL to XA705 to run every hour on the hour in order to cleanup the file
that keeps track of how many licenses are truly being used by active jobs...

Hth.

JonWadey@mst-ltd.co.uk on 02/28/2002 04:34:50 AM

Please respond to jbausers-l@midrange.com