  • Subject: RE: back to back Shipments (AKA direct shipments)
  • From: Dan Thomas <DThomas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 16:20:02 -0400

I've sent a another message on this topic (although it hasn't bounced back
to me yet).  I'm so long winded they seem to take a while!

Reserving an order line quantity against an inbound PO (the option 5 you
mention) is completely different than the direct ship function.  PO
reservation is used to pre-allocate inventory to a customer order against a
restock PO that already exists.  Direct shipments creates a requisition (and
eventually a PO) separately for each customer order.  In reservations, you
will still ship the product out of your stockroom/warehouse using normal
functions.  With direct shipments, the stock never hits your docks and
you're simply providing an "order processing / billing" service.  In a
non-manufacturing environment (like ours) you do not have to have the
configurator installed to use either direct shipments or PO reservations.

There is one bit of commonality.  With both of these functions, you can link
from the customers order to your purchase order to the supplier using the
5=Reservations option (but with direct ships this is an inquiry tool and not
a data entry requirement).

One more final note about direct shipments: You have to be careful if the
customer cancels their order.  During the time it is a requisition, JBA will
cancel the requisition if the customer cancels their order line.  However,
once you've turned the requisition into a Purchase Order it will not be
deleted if you delete the customer order line.  This is a bad situation!
The manufacturer doesn't know to stop shipment and when they invoice you the
Reservation Monitor doesn't know what to do with it since it's no longer
linked to an order.  We've addressed this situation with SOP's that instruct
customer service to get with Purchasing when a customer wants to cancel a
direct ship PO.

Dan Thomas
Sr. VP Information Systems
MDI