I would say, with due respect to management, that user testing would never

be enough. Users generally don't have a wide enough perspective of the
entire product that you are turning your business over to.  It would be
interesting to know the common theme of problems (challenges) of those who
have gone live.  A suggestion for those who do not have the resources
(people, disk space, procedures, etc.) to duplicate everything, or even
business critical transactions, is to make up a "go live script".  One
would execute this script at least one month prior to actually going live,
evaluate results from a day or two of key transactions and procedures and
reports, and know much better issues to be concerned about, as well as what
to adjust in the go live script.  There are many other issues that would be
specific to a company, I don't want to take up email space if  further
comments don't apply.

Randy Smith

Having come from a consulting background but now being part of "management"
I can understand your desire for a parallel test.  It largely depends on
the
culture of the organisation that you are working with.  In the company I
work for we do not have the resources to do parallel testing, however the
people are pretty good at jumping the odd hurdle that comes along.
We have just gone live with System21 Version3.5.0 and have had some
problems
that were beyond my control but we had the contingency plans in place and
everyone is still coping.  It just makes life a little bit more challenging
for a couple of weeks.  It is important though that you have the
workarounds
in place ready to go if you need them.
Thanks,
Have a great day,