>Sounds like Evan's method would allow
>me to sign on even if QINTER is ended.

Note: Evan's method is to create a duplicate interactive subsystem and limit
access via workstation name entries.  The question was brought up about
TCP/IP QPADEVxxxx random names and how to restrict in that situation.

Hypothesis: Restrict access to the duplicate subsystem's job queue.  Bring
up the duplicate subsystem and bring down QINTER during backups.
"Emergency" personnel will be able to sign on but ordinary users will not.

Synopsis: Restricting access to the job queue will not restrict a user to
the attached subsystem.  You need to restrict access to the SBSD.

Detail:
 ===> CRTDUPOBJ OBJ(QINTER) FROMLIB(QSYS) OBJTYPE(*SBSD)
TOLIB(BUCK) NEWOBJ(BUCK)

 ===> CRTJOBQ JOBQ(BUCK/BUCK) TEXT('Test for alternate interactive sbs')
 ===> RMVJOBQE SBSD(BUCK) JOBQ(qinter)
 ===> RMVJOBQE SBSD(BUCK) JOBQ(qs36mrt)
... remove any others.  Use DSPSBSD option 6 to see
 ===> ADDJOBQE SBSD(BUCK) JOBQ(BUCK) MAXACT(*NOMAX)
... DSPSBSD and check 7-10.  Remove unnecessary entries
 ===> CRTUSRPRF USRPRF(restricted)
 ===> CRTUSRPRF USRPRF(allowed)
 ===> grtobjaut buck *sbsd *public *exclude
 ===> grtobjaut buck *sbsd allowed *use
...be aware of *GROUP authority you may want to discard.

With QINTER up:
As "allowed"
 ===> tfrjob buck/buck
 ===> wrkactjob sbs(buck)
Opt  Subsystem/Job  User
     BUCK           QSYS
       QPADEV000A   ALLOWED

As "restricted"
 ===> tfrjob buck/buck
 RESTRICTED not authorized to subsystem BUCK

As "buck"
 ===> endsbs qinter

With QINTER down and BUCK up:
signoff
see sign-on screen for sbs(buck)
sign on as buck OK

signoff
see sign-on screen for sbs(buck)
sign on as restricted - CPF1109 - not authorized to subsystem.

It looks like I need to read up on how singing-on routes through the system.
I find it odd that RESTRICTED can sign on when denied access to the job
queue.  Undoubtedly a misunderstanding of work management on my part.

Buck