Hi Jay,

I haven't done much OPM in the last 20 years, since the first thing I do, when hitting an OPM program, is converting it to ILE and integrating it into the right activation group.

IMHO the biggest difference between OPM/*INLR and ILE activation groups for me is:

- OPM/*INLR is vertical - so the *INLR is affecting primarily the program itself and programs that are called from this program

-ILE activation groups work also "horizontal" - programs that are called from another program but in the same AG that your program will also end, if the AG ends - like a simultaneous *INLR in all programs in that AG

And it gets somehow more confusing when service programs enter the scene - they can run in the callers AG or in an own AG that can be ended explicitly or implicitly when the last program of the AG ends.

So teaching COBOL dudes ILE-RPG is effectively a two part job:

a) teaching them RPG

b) teaching them ILE

I'm doing ILE-RPG since 20 years - and still learn something new from time to time - and still do stupid errors from time to time (coincidentally this is often at the same time ;-)

If they have the chance, they should develop a good AG strategy first and then start developing ILE-RPG. Doing this "while you go" is possible - but will cost them some grey hair later.

HTH
Daniel