Thomas, glad you took a look. Let me quickly go through the design concept.

Program A calls Procedure B in Service Program C which calls Procedure D in
Service Program E.

How does Procedure D, if it encounters an error, inform program A that a
problem occurred and report the details. That is where the standard error
handler comes in.

It throws the error which terminates the procedures but it also logs the
message in a linked list. Once it gets to the top it can retrieve the
details. I like the idea of adding a new optional parameter that contains
the program name although you can send that information up in the message
text.

If you look at different places in my source code you can see it being
used.

There is one more piece of the puzzle and that is ILE Condition Handler
called CEEHDLR. With API you register an error handler at startup of your
program.

When an error occurs that is not monitored, it calls the procedure you have
specified. With the API, you can decide to handle the error yourself or you
could use XVERRH_Throw to log the error and shutdown processing. This is a
link to a very old article and the code is really old using fixed format C
specs but it gives the framework in the code at the end.

https://www.mcpressonline.com/programming/rpg/implementing-ile-condition-handlers

You might find further examples on line.

As to XVERRH_Rethrow, the concept is that I am in a procedure and I want to
call an internal procedure to perform an action and I want to throw any
errors that occur in that procedure back to the caller. With XVERRH_Rethrow
I just monitor for the error in the caller and if it fails it just throws
the error back up the line. Just gives me a simple way to pass errors up
the line from internal procedures.

Here is an example.

Monitor;
GetFileStats(InFilePath:
FileStats );
On-Error;
XVERRH_Rethrow();
EndMon;

*- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* GetFileStats

* Get file stats.

* Input - File Path

* In/Out - Stats structure.

* Returns - None.

* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
dcl-proc GetFileStats;
dcl-pi *N;
InFilePath VarChar(512) Value;
InStatsDataSturucture LikeDs(TD_FieStats);
end-pi;

dcl-pr StatAPI Int(10) ExtProc('stat')
PR_FilePath Pointer Options(*String) Value;
PR_PointerToStructure Pointer Value;
end-pr;

dcl-s Message Id Char(7);

If StatAPI(InFilePath :
%Addr(InStatsStructure)) < 0;
MessageId = GetErrorMessageId();
XVERRH_Throw(MessageId :
CPF_MESSAGE_FILE_NAME:
' ' );
EndIf;

Return;

end-proc;

Feel free to contact me if you want to discuss further.

On Sat, Mar 30, 2024 at 10:26 AM Thomas Raddatz <thomas.raddatz@xxxxxx>