I really failed by omitting too much code from my example. I really can't stack them because not every procedure will be called every time. For example, the middle procedure might only run if it is processing a specific type of record but the last procedure will always be called, assuming errors were not found in the previously called procedures.

I was really hoping there was some new type of GOTO that was available in free format but not as ugly to the program internally. We all know how wonderful a GOTO out of a procedure cleaned up after itself.

I'm now leaning toward submitting the processing logic so that the submitted job can just abend on error (SNDPGMMSG *ESCAPE) and have the interactive job go into a monitoring loop (with a delay) to watch what the submitted program is doing and report accordingly.

-----Original Message-----
From: RPG400-L <rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of VERNON HAMBERG Owner via RPG400-L
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2024 7:06 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: VERNON HAMBERG Owner <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Stopping processing with using a bunch of if statements

Ah, you did a test sooner than my typing could go!

The behavior you found and that I just described is sometimes called shortcutting logical expressions. I couldn't quickly find a reference to that behavior in the ILE RPG reference manual, might be there or in the Programmer's Guide.

As to the other issue, we'd need to see more - I wonder if something like a cascading set of CALLs could do it -

If Call1;
// do some stuff
if Call2;
// do more stuff
if Call3;
// do even more stuff
endif;
endif;
endif;

Or put the some and more and even more in each respective procedure, you'd still return the result as true or false.

HTH
Vern