Suren,

RPG does not currently provide that information to the parser.

That is something that would've been useful to me, too, at times..   so if you were to submit an idea to IBM, I'd be willing to vote for it.

My suggestion would be for IBM to add another routine to the 'environment' that would allow the parser to retrieve details about the variable you are mapping data into.  Ideally, this would NOT just be "the current field" but would allow you to retrieve the entire layout of the variable you're working with, possibly requiring multiple calls?

Conceptually, this would be something like this:

dcl-s v int(10);

dcl-ds info likeds(QrnDiVarInfo_t);

v = QrnDiOpenResultVar(handle);

dou rc <> 0;

  rc = QrnDiReadResultVar(v: handle: Info);

  if rc = 1;

     leave;

  endifl;

  // "info" now contains stuff like the name, type (packed, zoned, varchar, char, etc), length, decimal places, ccsid, maybe other things.  There could also be custom "types" for the dcl-ds and end-ds lines so you can keep track of when your data is nested inside something else, etc.

enddo;

QrnDiCloseResultVar(v);

This would allow the parser to make better decisions in many cases.   For example, if an element is supposed to get a default value from the parser, should it use a *blank or 0 or d'0001-01-01'  No way to know what to pass right now because the parser knows nothing about the variable it's mapping into.

Or suppose the parser wants to implement a feature similar to the "countprefix" feature where there is another field with a prefix tht corresponds to the first field.  Since we have no way to see what is in the data structure, we can't evaluate whether there's a field with a prefix -- meaning the parser is limited in the decisions it can make with what to do with the data.

I don't agree with Jon's assessment that DATA-INTO couldn't do this.  After all, it knows all about the resulting variable at compile-time... there's no reason it couldn't provide this info to the parser somehow.

Same with the generator in DATA-GEN.

-SK