I'm one of the developers of MDREST4i...   the new version that will be coming out in a few months will definitely outperform the current version...  but it's a really powerful tool, makes the work a lot easier for you, you don't have to code everything by hand.  (as you do with my other tool, HTTPAPI.)

Obviously, there are a lot of factors in the performance of everything.  Network speed, server speed, etc...   and a REST method will never be as fast as straight disk access.  But the design of the API also makes a huge difference... it's much more performant for an API to work with a batch of data so that there are fewer calls vs. smaller data and lots more calls, for example.

Just my thoughts.