Hi Vern,

For a keyed file, I would expect that it's just getting a pointer from the index to the record to be read.  And along those lines, if I use *START, I'd think it would use the pointer from the first index entry.  In either case, if the index either does not have an entry for the search argument, or the index is empty, then %equal is *OFF.  But if there is an entry for the search argument, then it would be *ON.  And if the index is not empty, then there is an entry for *START.

Same thing with %found.  I'm coming to the conclusion that if *START or *END is used, then %EQUAL and %FOUND are set to *OFF, period.

At this point, it's apparent what the actual behavior is, so I've programmed accordingly.  But it would be nice to see some documentation thereof :)