Hi Alan,

If the question became "Equal to what, exactly?", I would say equal to the key in the *START (or first) record.

I don't like it, but I can accept that %equal is only *ON if a particular key was specified and it exists. But in my mind, when I say "SETLL *START MyFile;" I'm specifying the key of the starting record in the file, and if the file is not empty, there must be a starting record.

Similarly with %found, why would it be *OFF if a record exists in the file?  "SETLL *START MyFile;": couldn't find anything in a non-empty file? The manual actually says

"The resulting indicators reflect the status of the operation. You can specify an indicator in positions 71-72 that is set on when the search argument is greater than the highest key or relative record number in the file. This information can also be obtained from the %FOUND built-in function, which returns '0' if no record is found, and '1' if a record is found."

which is not accurate when using SETLL *START.