On 2022-04-29 4:46 p.m., Greg Wilburn wrote:
That would be me... This was originally written in fixed format and I used a converter to convert to /free format a while back. That could be part of the problem (and/or my confusion about VARCHAR and *VARSIZE).

So when I remove *varsize and recreate the service program, will I likely need to recompile all the programs that call it? Or will they be OK?

Earlier posts in this thread have talked about making it a varying-length parameter. That would be good in general, but if you do change it to have type VARCHAR, then you need to recompile all the callers.

So just removing OPTIONS(*VARSIZE) will be easiest.

But you will still have to recompile all the callers that were compiled with OPTIONS(*VARSIZE).