Correct - but the assumption is that you will detect the actual length and process accordingly.

Remember - when you pass a parm (other that by value) you are only passing a pointer. So unless your called routine restricts itself to the length passed you will "see" whatever data is in the 6 bytes addressed by the pointer. That extra stuff could be blanks or just rubbish left around by a previous user of that storage.

The important thing is NOT to use the combination you used - it has no value. CONST was enough by itself and will always supply blanks for the training positions.

Jon P

On Apr 29, 2022, at 11:18 AM, Greg Wilburn <gwilburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sorry... my fault, Charles is right. It was not real code, and the option is *varsize

So back to my example... if I call this procedure, where the first parameter is CHAR(6) *VARSIZE passing only '123', why does it contain "other" data?

My understanding is that I can pass it something smaller?

-----Original Message-----
From: RPG400-L <rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Jon Paris
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2022 11:12 AM
To: RPG programming on IBM i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: *varying vs varchar

Thanks Charles - I knew there was something wrong with Options(*varchar) but since it _appeared_ to be from real code ...

Jon P.

On Apr 29, 2022, at 11:05 AM, Charles Wilt <charles.wilt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There is no options(*varchar)

I assume from the title you mean options(*varsize)

options(*varsize) and varchar()/varying are two very different things

...and Jon beat me to the details... :)

Charles

On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 8:37 AM Greg Wilburn <