That would be me... This was originally written in fixed format and I used a converter to convert to /free format a while back. That could be part of the problem (and/or my confusion about VARCHAR and *VARSIZE).

So when I remove *varsize and recreate the service program, will I likely need to recompile all the programs that call it? Or will they be OK?

-----Original Message-----
From: RPG400-L <rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2022 1:39 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: *varying vs varchar

I would remove all of those options(*varsize) keywords.

The way this is coded is dangerous. The called procedure has no way to
detect the lengths of these fields, so if you pass something shorter
than indicated on the prototype, you will end up overwriting random memory.

Whomever wrote this did not understand how options(*varsize) works.