Am 06.03.2022 um 12:59 schrieb Patrik Schindler <poc@xxxxxxxxxx>:

Am 06.03.2022 um 09:43 schrieb Daniel Gross <daniel@xxxxxxxx>:

2. Performance - yes, running many programs in a named AchGrp has a positive effect on the “feeled” performance of your users and can have a positive effect if you have programs that a called multiple times in batch job.

Is this really still a thing? Even on my 150, I barely notice the extra time for setting up a new activation group when calling a program.

Well I tend to say no - thinking of Power9 and Power10 processors and the shear amount of RAM todays machines have.

The picture completely changes when calling secondary programs from a primary program within a loop of things to do. Something I would put considerable effort into to make this self-contained, without "external" calls.

To have clear structures you often have to separate programs and procedures - so in batch I often have a main program and several service programs (using *CALLER) - this helps to get good performance when repeating calls to procedures are necessary.

In interactive programs - or with web services - the network transmission is nearly always longer than the processing time - if it’s not, it’s mostly due to poor design.

Regards,
Daniel