Hi Karl

Your point about PRTFs and DSPFs is well-taken. And Jon did mention named indicators - that way of using *IN indicators is more understandable and maintainable - possibly using INDARA or other naming methods. Then your code uses, as you likely know, IF/ENDIF constructs instead of positional indicators or *INxx.

Regards
Vern

On 6/11/2021 5:30 AM, LOGIC IT: Karl FRITZ wrote:
Jon,

I don't agree at all.
What's about with printer and display files?
It could be an advantage to know how indicators work.

Perhaps may a cycle program be faster than a SQL update, best with M and L indicators. Haha, it's a joke!
And sometimes, not all modern things are really economic.

Just my 2cts.
KF

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: RPG400-L [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Im Auftrag von Jon Paris
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 10. Juni 2021 22:41
An: RPG programming on IBM i
Betreff: Re: [V4, positional]: Converting decimal to string without leading zeros

Re Indicators ...

https://authory.com/JonParisAndSusanGantner/Goodbye-Indicators <https://authory.com/JonParisAndSusanGantner/Goodbye-Indicators>

That was from 2002. More recently https://authory.com/JonParisAndSusanGantner/Guru-Classic-The-New-Basics--Indicators <https://authory.com/JonParisAndSusanGantner/Guru-Classic-The-New-Basics--Indicators>

I appreciate that you are doing this as a hobby but I do think that you seem to be missing the real benefits of RPG as a language. Hint: Columnar organization was never one of them.

One of the things I have always loved about RPG is the power of its I/O model. Declare a disk file and a display file. Use the same field names in both. Now a simple READ of the file and a WRITE (or EXFMT) of the display and magic happens. Under the covers RPG reads the record into a buffer, and extracts all of the individual fields into their own storage locations. When the Write is encountered the field data is gathered, placed in the buffer and sent to the device. There can be significant advantages in terms of volume of code (and a resulting reduction in potential errors) in that simplicity of approach. That's the benefit - not being forced into columns.

Indicators (as you'll see if you read those articles) are a historical (hysterical?) legacy of the old tabulating equipment that the original RPG was designed to simulate. They can just as easily be used when associated with a name.

But enough of this ...

What release level are you at any the way?