<Patrik>
A lot of layers of indirection. But with today's sheer processing power and more than enough RAM, this is mostly just a matter of my personal taste.
</Patrik>

I don't know too much about Razlees DB Gate, but enough about ArdGate.

You have to pay some price for everything, but the footprint of ArdGate is rather tiny. It's using one single prestarted JVM for all clients connecting to diffrent databases via JDBC. The original version was developed on a 170 under V5R1 and is still running on V5R1 and higher. Performance on this minimal box was sufficient and scalability nearly unlimited. The architecture allows to run the server process on any box in the network: on the as/400, another as400, the database server you are acessing or any other box in the network.

You will find some docs about the concepts on slideshare or at the project site on SourceForge.

D*B