Sounds as if the SQL stuff is setting the CLASSPATH and since that is only used once per job no attempt to change it will have any impact. This would explain why it works in a batch job.

I don't know what the SQL stuff needs but it seems to me that you would need to set the class path and fire up the JVM _before_ using the SQL functions. That implies that you must find out what values the SQL http functionality requires in the path.