Maybe this will help.
https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/ifs-stmf-ccsids-1252-437-and-819

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 3:07 AM Carel <coteijgeler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

For a short term project working on a contract at the moment we have
some issues with files created on the IFS regarding CCSID.
(Note: when I talk about readable in Notepad, it means also readable on
another sytem)

First some data on the environment the problem occurs. Do not know
whether all is relevant.

OS release V7.1
CCSID system value 65535
CCSID job 65535
CCSID SRCPF 37
CCSID PGM 37
CCSID SRVPGM 65535
CCSID PGM 65535

We are in the process of creating XML docs that have to be sent to
another system (SAP).

My colleague wriote a program to generate an XML doc is written to the IFS.
The program is initiated (called from) a client application running in a
Windows environment, wriiten in java.
That would run a PJ job in QUSRWRK (with CCSID 37) and the XML doc on
the IFS has also CCSID 37.
With WRKLNK readable data, with Notepad unreadable data.

I am writing a program to generate an XML doc as well, testing on the
green screen only at the moment (job CCSID 65535).
One of my test programs uses embedded SQL.
This programs generates 2 IFS files (XML docs) at the moment: one
written with the IFS APIs (open, write close), the second using SQL.

For using SQL to write to the IFS I have the following lines of code in
my program (placed in a procedure in a SRVPGM).

D Outfile S sqltype(CLOB_FILE)
CCSID(819) (IFS File)
D aXMLDoc S sqltype(CLOB:15728640)

*****C/EXEC SQL
*****C+ DECLARE :aXMLDoc VARIABLE CCSID 819
*****C/END-EXEC

C Eval L_IFSFile = %trim(IFSPath) +
%trim(IFSName) (name IFS file)
C Eval aXMLDoc_Data =
%trim(dsLongText) (dsLongText contains the generated
XML doc, aprogram variable without a CCSID set)
C Eval aXMLDoc_Len = 15728640

C Eval Outfile_Name = %trim(L_IFSFile)
C Eval Outfile_NL = %len(%trimr(Outfile_Name))
* SQFCRT = parameter to create xml
C Eval Outfile_FO = SQFCRT

C/EXEC SQL
C+ SET :Outfile = :aXMLDoc
C/END-EXEC

The file created on the IFS has CCSID 37; with WRKLNK readable data,
with Notepad unreadable data.
Changing the CCSID to 810 in WRKLNK: with WRKLNK unreadable data, with
Notepad unreadable data.

If I activate the commented out lines with DECLARE: CCSID IFS file is
819; with WRKLNK readable data, with Notepad unreadable data.
(So, the CCSID of the field overrules the given CCSID of the IFS file).

THe other file written to the IFS (using the IFS APIs):
CCSID 819 (indicated on the open API); with WRKLNK readable data, with
Notepad readable data.

Searching the Internet and the archives I came across a similar question
in 2011 with provided some code (and copied by me, see above) for the
solution.

So, some questions:
1) How can we create in this environment an IFS file created with SQL
that is readable in both WRKLNK and Notepad?
2) Why does SQL ignores the set CCSID when the data field has not
assigned a CCSID (CCSID 37 for the IFS file)
3) Where is this documented? In the manuals for V7.1 there is no
mentioning or examples with key word sqltype(CLOB_FILE) CCSID(819) and
such others (SQFCRT).

We can use the IFS APIs, but doing it entirely with SQL would be nice.

TIA.

Kind regards,

Carel Teijgeler

at https://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l.