From: RPG400-L <rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of dlclark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <dlclark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 6, 2020 9:39 AM
To: RPG programming on IBM i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Decimal Place in Character String

"RPG400-L" <rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 03/06/2020
12:35:24 PM:
This... to me feels like copy-pasting code. And the more different
d_shift values you have to support, the worse this becomes.

I do suspect this *might* be the best-performing approach. Even if it
is, I don't think the performance gains are worth the verbosification
(and calcification) of the code.

         So are you saying that you would NOT like to see a service
procedure similar to the following [SELECT with 15 WHEN branches,
plus fallback] to accomplish this?

Correct. I would have rather seen the string processing logic as the
guts of the service procedure.

Well, I would rather have seen IBM create %DEC and %DECH to accept
true variable data for the precision and scale parameters.   ;-)

Sincerely,

Dave Clark