Monica, I believe you are correct.  I have never been able to use an externally described data structure in a parameter list UNLESS it was qualified.  And then, all the fields must be accessed using the qualified syntax dsname.field, which you're trying to avoid.

So the easiest way around it is to do the move.  Ugly, but functional.  Here's a second way, using a pointer:

dcl-ds er5005ds extname('ER5005DS') based(per5005ds) end-ds;

dcl-pi *n;
  i_er5005ds like(er5005ds);
end-pi;

per5005ds = %addr(i_er5005ds);

I'm not a fan of this approach, either, but it works.