I think it is important to point out for the archive that part of your comment is a little misleading.

You can go (very nearly) full free form and lose all the H, D, etc. specs _without_ giving up the ability to use the sequence number area for mod marks etc.

We are however, as someone else pointed out, limited to columns 8 to 80 for the source. Personally I have never found that a problem and use this approach often because I have to annotate code lines to reference them in teaching materials and articles and rarely need to go beyond column 80.

Also you have not needed to use /Free for some time (V7.1?) regardless of how much freedom you use.

So we effectively have four "degrees" of freedom at which we can code.

**Free - all columns, any length source line

Mostly free - columns 8 -80 for RPG code

Free form calls - with fixed form definitions and H-specs etc.

Fixed form - with the only free stuff being EVALs, IFs, etc.