"RPG400-L" <rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 07/30/2019
04:22:56 PM:
From: dlclark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: RPG programming on IBM i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07/30/2019 04:23 PM
Subject: RE: SQL selecting into a data structure with null variables
Sent by: "RPG400-L" <rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

"RPG400-L" <rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 07/30/2019
04:17:52 PM:
Thanks to those who have replied.
The separate indicator array was the trick.

I don't suppose there's a bif on the number of subfields in a data
structure?
Instead of
DCL-S Security_journal_indicator_array bindec(1) dim(24);
I could do
DCL-S Security_journal_indicator_array bindec(1) dim(%subfields
(Security_journal));

There is supposed to be a new keyword on DCL-DS allowing
indicators to be built for each column in an external file definition.
But
we don't have it yet (at 7.1) so I don't know all of the details.
Something like SQLINDS or some such.

I checked and only found the RFE I created to request this
feature. Barbara Morris commented on the RFE to point out that there was
a parameter to EXTNAME and LIKEREC for RPG-type null indicators (*NULL)
but that this would need an extension to that support in order to create
SQL-type indicators (*SQLNULL). So, for now, you have to manually create
your SQL indicator arrays/data structures.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=97462

Sincerely,

Dave Clark