I think he may have been referring to non-displayable fields.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 8:39 AM <SReeves@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Excuse my ignorance, but how would I capture the data prior to it going to
the screen? The input of a scan typically goes directly to active field
on the screen. Hidden fields are not considered input-capable at least
according to IBM's documentation.

date: Tue, 16 Apr 2019 12:51:59 -0500
from: Booth Martin <booth@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Scanning 2D barcode to Display File

Avoid barcode reads directly to the display screen fields. Barcodes
generally have to be decoded, descrambled, etc.? Its been a while but I
think I used a non-visible screen field on the display that is defined
like the barcode, and scanned the barcode in to that.? Then process that
field, sub-stringing out the positions you want and ignoring the unknown
& unwanted.? I used a data structure with overlays and reassembed the
useful segments in the order and layout needed.

Is there reason to worry about translating pipes when all you are going
to do with them is ignore them?

at https://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l.