I think I'd vote for it, as well.

On 1/28/2019 8:04 AM, Justin Taylor wrote:
I haven't used SELECT since ELSEIF. Mark, you could always open an RFE. I'd vote for it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Paris [mailto:jon.paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2019 3:34 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries) <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: select vs. if-elseif

You are correct - there is effective redundancy there and sadly it probably can't be changed.

Personally I always found the old RPG SELECT to be confusing because my mental model has Select meaning "choose from a list of possibilities" - in other words what your suggestion appears to be doing.

I welcomed the arrival of ElseIf because it gave me a different syntax that I could map into my model.

So my rule is use ElseIf in cases where the condition can change and use Select when picking from a list of possible values.

Been much happier since I did that.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com