Does anyone else find the redundancy between the select block and the
if-elseif-else block a little disconcerting? Seems to me that there should
be a clear distinction between the two. There never can be at this point,
so I tend to use a relatively inconsistent mix of the two in my code based
on what mood I am in. But the select syntax has a potentially game changing
syntax.

select <variable>;
when <value>;
when <value>;
when <value>;
other;
endsl;

This syntax reduces redundancy in a significant amount of code, by
reducing the need to retype code variable names over and over again.
Wouldn't it be nice?