I don't disagree with you that the pricing is prohibitive. I and many others have ranted similarly over the years - but it won't change things.

That said, I am in a similar position to yourself. I had a hard time justifying the outlay. However, as a freelancer you know all too well that you _have_ to invest in your own learning and skills to remain competitive and marketable. Think of the outlay on RDi as an investment - in yourself. Once you're over the initial cost, the annual SWMA is a little, (just a little) more palatable. Long term it will be worth it and I'm sure you can offset the cost as a tax deductible expense.

Again, I don't dispute that IBM is missing a huge opportunity to attract more customers, especially independents. (The Big Clients can negotiate discounts and trade-ins whilst "the little man" pays the full price. But isn't this always the way?) I reconcile this by telling myself I am also investing in the product and enhancements and that support will continue to be available. Can the same be said for the cheap/free tools in the years to come?

If it's any consolation, the free-trial period has increased to 120-days. Ample time for you to assess the value of the product for your own personal development.

HTH,
Brian.

PS. Apologies if this discussion now belongs on WDSC-L