On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 2:51 PM Greg Wilburn
<gwilburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

For me, I don't know... particularly since a " valid result" of %DEC and %INT could actually be -1.

How would you know the difference?

I guess you're talking about Jon's second proposal, where you pick a
default value to use if the parse fails.

The answer is: you wouldn't know the difference. The whole point is to
pick a default value that either you know isn't in the data, or you
know it doesn't matter if it matches some other data. If you can't
pick a sensible default value, then you omit that parameter, and let
the parse fail with an error.

John Y.