This leads to the issue I am having.  I was taught early on that hard-wiring names into programs was a Red Flag and a promise for future nightmares of odd errors.

My own work practice is that I have a source library of QDEV which has my source member models for everything from subfiles to message files to sql to filters to  on&on.  Current projects are also in there.  One advantage is that this guarantees all objects will have unique names within the project.  Also, when a project is ready to be handed off everything is all there in 1 place.  Forgetting pieces disappears as a problem.   /COPY in that scenario is something I have never figured out, but now it appears that prejudice must be buried with MOVE, GOTO, and VARPG.

"... when specifying a physical file, the library, file, and member name, can be in one of these formats:

|libraryname/filename,membername filename,membername membername |

* A member name must be specified.
* If a file name is not specified, QRPGLESRC is assumed. ..."

Scott, it appears that IBM's preferred choice is not QCPYSRC, either.  My own first-impression preference would be a default of *FILE.

Anyway, that pretty well sums up my quandary.  It looks to me like using the default probably works best, but I better listen to the people who have already been there.