IBMi 7.3, PTF's current as-of 01 Sep 18.

I've made hundreds of calls to this vendor webservice a day for years. Yesterday, and a week ago Monday, something went wrong and every subsequent call failed. We bounced the Apache server and the webservice calls immediately began functioning again.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bradley Stone [mailto:bvstone@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 5:06 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: HTTPAPI & revoked SSL cert

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 4:48 PM Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 3:37 PM, Bradley Stone <bvstone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I hinted at that... means HTTPAPI has nothing to do with the problem
then.
:)

An error in an HTTPAPI call could be what's destabilizing the IBM i
CGI interface.

Maybe if HTTPAPI is experience an SSL error, and the CGI program isn't monitoring for it, yes.

Any unresolved error in any CGI program can destabilize the IBM i CGI
interface. CGI program errors can altogether destabilize the IBM i
HTTP server. That's what appears to be happening in this case.

Destabilize? That's a rather interesting choice of terminology. I've had countless CGI applications running for years on many systems for myself, customers, etc and if they error out, they error out. They don't
"destabilize" the server. What does that even mean? And how would
restarting the server fix it? These aren't PCs.

A CGI job errors out and that job will either go into MSGW or crash/end (or possibly loop forever...). The next CGI request will take the next available job (or start a new one). And if it's really bad, soon you'll have maxed out the threads that will start all with MSGW. Is that what you're getting at?

There's obviously much more to this than lets on, and I don't know if you're working with the OP behind the scenes, but the fact remains, HTTPAPI in no way is dependent on the Apache HTTP server, or can it "destabilize"
it. The only thing they MAY have in common is DCM, and dealing with SSL
APIs.

The error reported in the original post was from HTTPAPI, and an SSL error. I stand by my first response until more information is presented.
I asked specific questions about OS level because if it's V7R1 or earlier that could be a huge problem.