I have a CGI webservice that uses the HTTPAPI utility to make HTTPS calls to an outside vendor. It makes a few hundred calls a day and has been in production for a couple of years. Twice in the past week it's started throwing certificate errors and continued to do so until we bounced the Apache server. I wasn't in the office when the issues occurred, so I'm limited on what data I have.

I'm working on an automatic, and less drastic, work-around than bouncing Apache. My RPG CGI program runs in a named activation group and doesn't set on LR. The HTTPAPI call is in a service program that runs in *CALLER. I'm wondering if it would help to run my service program in a named activation group. That way, when an error occurs the calling RPG could reclaim that named activation group. Of course, I don't know if that would help. I'm just speculating that something within HTTPAPI is staying in memory.

Any thoughts?