I have limited use of SQL views. Views are not reusable in that they do
not, compared to scalar and table functions, perform a single thing. They
collect and calculate columns from the standpoint of the selected rows from
a single or set of tables.

I have an SQL function named ITBAL_GetAvailQty( whse, itno ). It returns
the quantity of an item in a warehouse that is available to be allocated to
a new order.

I could use a view to calculate that value. It would be one of the columns
selected from the item master. Other columns would also be calculated or
collected. Such as the fully qualified name of an item or the item
backorder quantity. Providing the consumer of the view with a nice
encapsulation of the calculations and where the data is selected from.

But this view would have limited reusability. To calculate the same
available and backorder quantities for the items in the order detail table
you have to repeat the calculations. Better to use SQL functions to
calculate those values.

Once you have SQL functions calculating specific column values the view
becomes simpler. The other calculation the SQL view does is in selecting
the rows. Join order header to order detail and item master. If you want
to encapsulate that logic consider using a table function. Now the view is
using SQL functions to calculate columns and table functions to collect the
data. What is the point of the view? Esp if using an SQL procedure that
accepts parameters and uses the view to return a result set. The view in
this scenario does not contribute much.

On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 5:35 PM, Niels Liisberg <nli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>