A couple of points. probably covered already:

* Use load-all subfiles.
* Design your subfile with the idea of less than 1000 records. That's
how the whole rest of the world does it, from Google to OS/2.
* Allow users to filter their choice.  (SQL even allows wildcard
selection.) Set-to: is nice, but you also need to cut off the tail
end of the file.
* Use the danged scroll bar! It allows a user to drag the slider
through the subfile and allows inching record by record.
* Use radio buttons for common filters. http://tinyurl.com/yakro778

http://www.martinvt.com/SQL_-simple-/SQL_Filtered_Subfile/sql_filtered_subfile.html

(As a side note; a personal observation: Consider using SQLRPGLE. I resisted for decades; not my cup of tea, don't cha know.  Got forced to it in 2015 and man, am I ever happy that happened!!  Set filters easily, wild card searches, no fussing with logical files, and sorting the same way the rest of the world sorts.)