But in regard to "never ever" referencing files in programs, why would you
say that? Are you suggesting that ONLY SQL views should be referenced in
programs? That wouldn't make a much sense to me.
Why? What happens if you want to modernize and normalize your database by by
splitting big tables into multiple smaller ones.

I you used a view which originally had the same columns in the same table as
the original table, you simply have to modify the view (joining the new
tables together), but you no not have to modify any of your programs.
You do not even have to rework your updates.
Instead of triggers, which can handled inserts, updates or deletes on joined
files/tables can only be added to views.
So you simply have to rework your view and add or modifiy 3 instead of
triggers (one for insert, one for update and one for delete) ... and voilà
that's it

I'd always expect that something like this will happen in the future

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Birgitta Hauser

Brown)
and keeping them!"
?Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they
don't want to.? (Richard Branson)